Thursday, October 23, 2008
Orca Whale
Yesterday we got a call from Holly as we were eating breakfast. She told us that there was a baby Orca whale on Brenneke's beach in Poipu. We finished breakfast and jumped in the car to see the baby whale. We have seen lots of monk seals and a sea turtle on the beach, but this was quite a site. I have since learned that orca whale do not traditionally habitate the waters near Hawaii, so where this whale came from is anybody's guess. It was scratched up and being pushed back and forth by the surf. It's underside had terrible scratch marks from being dragged over rocks. Behind him in the surf were tiger sharks waiting for some dinner. He was still alive when we were there, but we later found out that they euthanized him and put him on a flatbed truck to take him to a burial spot. It was a big deal. I would say atleast 150-200 people were there when we were there. They had a traditional Hawaiian blessing on the beach for the whale. It was amazing to see the whale, but the situation was so terrible for this whale that it just made your heart go out to it.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love the new background! Fancy shmancy! :) Great pics of our poor little whale too. I just wanted to take him home and put him in our tub to be Naiya's little (or big) pet orca! She speaks whale ya know. :) Love you guys.
ReplyDeleteHolly