Sunday, February 22, 2015

Thanksgiving 2014

 Thanksgiving this year was a big family event.  We scheduled Katelyn's baptism for the weekend after Thanksgiving so the Cook family could fit two events in one trip.  While they were here we fit in a few things other than the really delicious dinner on Thanksgiving Day.

I had two candy balls prepared for a candy ball game.  I learned this game from some of the Young Women.  You wrap a small circular item with the thick saran wrap type stuff that you buy in the packaging section at Walmart.  You tear off the pieces off the wrap and add pieces of candy as you go.  The ball gets bigger and bigger.  During the game you have to find the end of each individual piece of wrap and pull it from the ball.  You hope to pull out some candy as you unwrap that piece.  You are working against the person next to you who is rolling dice and trying to get doubles to take the candy ball away from you for their turn.  I wish I had my camera ready for this game.  Josh and Jenny were having an intense battle that included chasing and tackling.

Another thing we did was decorate our own plates for Thanksgiving dinner.  I am not a huge fan of going around the table while the hot food gets cold while we say what we are thankful for.  So instead we all used sharpies and wrote what we were thankful for on our plates and baked the marker into the plate.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.  Not such a great idea when we put hot food on them and the food turned the colors of the markers.  Oops.

We had plenty of pies for Thanksgiving.  I have long held that it isn't a Cook family Thanksgiving without more pies than people.  This year I made 7 pies, Holly made 7 pies,  Jenny bought 3 more, then Linda Garner sent over 2 for me and Russ, and 2 for Mike and Holly.  21 pies, 16 people.  Mission Accomplished.

We made the amazing Our Best Bites turkey for dinner.  Jenny and Don made perfectly creamy potatoes with evaporated milk.  Nancy went to the grocery store with us and bought the cutest turkey shaped butter ever.  I used my new turkey shaped gravy dish that I got at the thrift store on my birthday scavenger hunt with Holly.  Along with all that, fresh hot rolls, sweet potato casserole, and all the other goodness that comes with Thanksgiving dinner.  My mouth is watering thinking about it.

We had the crazy shopping group leave that night for all the early black Friday deals.  Kyleigh joined them for the madness.  She may be hooked for life.  At the first store they went to they each got a $10 gift card, which she used to buy a zip up sweatshirt that she wears all the time.  She came home pretty pumped.  I did venture to Walmart that night to buy a new trampoline.  The one we currently have is about to go the way of the world.

We also went to the festival of trees one day.  I had helped Kyleigh and Katelyn's class with some wreaths that were at the festival and I wanted to see them.  I will post about that later.

We had a Christmas gift night.  We wanted to open the gifts with Jenny's family that we had gotten for them and vice versa.  We also opened a few to and from Merrill and Nancy.  That was super fun.  Who doesn't like opening Christmas gifts before Thanksgiving weekend is over?

Katelyn's baptism was on Saturday night so my whole family, except Nate, came into town Saturday morning.  We met at Pojos for some fun in the early afternoon.  I am not sure if my kids will ever want to go to Pojos with me and Russ again.  We always give them $10 worth of tokens to share and that is it. This time they got tokens from Darci and Rissie and GG and Gpa.  They ask me for tokens and I hand them two.  They ask Gpa and he hands them 15.  They also did a couple of rounds on the bumper cars and got way more tickets than they usually get.  Makes sense, because they had more tokens to use.  They were pretty excited.  Afterwards, we went to the hotel they were staying at after that for the cousins to do their present exchange which was also fun.

In the evening we had a quick sandwich dinner at our house and then headed to the church for Katelyn's baptism which will also have to be a separate post.

It was a great Thanksgiving.  I am so glad everyone could make it to support Katelyn and have a great Holiday together.


















No comments:

Post a Comment



Blog Archive