Monday, November 2, 2009

Dorothy and Snow White



This year we had Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz and Snow White, without the seven dwarfs, show up for Halloween. We spent Tuesday night in Kalaheo at our ward trunk or treat/chili cookoff/carnival.

Halloween night we had a hot dog dinner with the Giles and trick-or-treated Kipuka street in Poipu. The girls had so much fun. They ran from house to house. Katelyn was in the front of the pack. When her bag was so full that it was hard to carry a nice lady gave us a plastic bag so we could help Katelyn carry her candy. Kyleigh emptied her bag into it, but Katelyn refused for several more houses. She did not want to let that candy out of her hands. Kyleigh told us her mouth was getting numb from saying trick-or-treat and thank you so much. We told her we could go home, but apparently it wasn't that numb. Naiya said trick-or-treat, thank you, and bye-bye to everyone who gave her candy. We had to drive back up to Princeville when we were done (about an hour) so the girls were asleep when we got home.

Sunday morning we had the candy sort. We talked the girls into giving us most of the chocolate to freeze and cut up for cookies at a later date. Then we divided everything equally (the odd amounts going into the parent pile) and the girls each still had a full bag. Rusty and I had the big halloween discussion. Do you take the candy away and dole it out bit by bit, or let them have at it and get it over with in a day or two. I was for the latter. In the end it's not like we really had a choice anyway. Katelyn slept with her candy bag and woke up the next morning half asleep with a piece of licorice in her mouth and her bag around her neck. She ate the licorice, fell back asleep and woke up crying for her candy bag (because I had taken it off of her neck).

Sunday night we took another load of stuff to Kalaheo. After we unloaded it we went to Mike and Holly's for dinner in a pumpkin. This year they ran out of pumpkins on Kauai, so it was dinner in a plastic pumpkin. The pumpkin "guts" were delicious, as were the rolls, and pumpkin pie. We attempted to make frankenstein jello. We used washable paint to put the mouths and scars on the plastic cups and it never dried. Rusty thought it was melted chocolate and ate a fingerful. Oops.

Anyway, Halloween is over. The costumes are in the dress up bin. The candy is mostly gone. I hope I have picked up my last candy wrapper. I hope that Katelyn will eat some regular food again. I hope Halloween comes again soon, because I love it as much as the girls.







No comments:

Post a Comment



Blog Archive