I am always trying to find a way to maneuver into the girls' classrooms for fun activities. In February I did activities in both classrooms for Presidents Day. In Kyleigh's classroom we set up four stations. Station one was a photo booth and log cabin building activity. I took a picture of each of the kids with the Abraham Lincoln set-up (and later made a poster for the classroom). After they had their picture taken they built log cabins out of pretzels to see who could get the highest cabin. In case you are wondering why log cabins, Abraham Lincoln was born and lived as a small child in a log cabin. Station two was directed drawing of the presidents. Station three was reading about George Washington and the cherry tree, writing what honesty was to them, and eating a piece of cake with cherry topping on it. Station four was coming up with ways to remember the three branches of the government. I think they loved it?
In Katelyn's class we made George Washington and Abraham Lincoln out of Nilla Wafers. I had kits all ready for each student with faces drawn on the nilla wafers. They added frosting to make a mini chocolate chip beard for Lincoln, with pieces of hersheys chocolate for the tall hat. Washington was pieces of small marshmallows for the wig and shirt piece. They turned out so cute and the kids had a great time.
This week I am going to do a Dr. Seuss activity with Katelyn's class. I think it will involve green eggs, ham, and our chicks that grow up to lay actual green eggs. Not sure, still working on the details!

No comments:
Post a Comment